Friday 23 November 2012

Why I love . . . #1 Tim Storrie

A colleague of my wife's is married to a bloke called Tim Storrie.  Tim is a medium-sized bear of a man, affable, funny and clever.  We generally meet at social events organised by our wives, and at one of these a year or so ago I made an enthusiastic comment about something or other.

Tim's response was, "Christ Nick, I've never heard you say you liked anything before now".

I was mortified.  There are plenty of things I dislike - eggs, ballet, Simon Cowell - but also plenty of things I do.  I don't know Tim Storrie that well - although sufficiently well to know that the world does not contain nearly enough people like him - and perhaps he just needs to sit next to me at meal-times a bit more often.

But in honour of his misjudgement I thought I would begin an occasional series of enthusiasms.  This is number one, in honour of its inspiration.  I would have called it the Tim Storrie Memorial Column, but Tim is alive, well and practising law.

Column number two coming shortly.