Thursday 13 June 2013

Measuring out my life in replacement dishwasher baskets

The great literature of the 20th century is full of disenchantment with the human condition.  From Kafka to Koestler, from Camus to Canetti, from Heller to Houllebeq, its heroes - no, its everymen - rail and chafe against the impersonality and alienation of modern life.

But though I scanned their pages full of sympathy and fellow-feeling, usually from within the seams of a charity shop overcoat, nothing has ever filled me with greater boredom and horror than the experience of ordering a new dishwasher cutlery basket from E-spares.

I've nothing against E-spares, a domestic part replacement website which seems to do a terrific job.  But oh Jesus.  There is a video ("Hi.  I'm Matt from E-spares") with bouncy theme music.  In it the chap tells you to order the one that's exactly right for your dishwasher if you can, before considering the universal dishwasher basket.  I watched all 42 bland seconds of it with my mouth wide open.

That was bad enough.  But what's this?  When I go to the universal dishwasher basket page I see that a staggering 672 people have written and posted comments about it.  Why?  On the first page one reads "better then the one i had and better for big familys".  I am tempted to scream, to read them all and jump out of the window in equal measure.

Never in all my life have I felt the sheer pointlessness of human existence so keenly.  That it should come to this.  "Measuring out my life in coffee spoons"?  Eliot didn't know the half of it.